Dal makhani masala is most popular dish in Punjabi cuisine and North Indian dishes. Dal makhani recipe dish is awesome taste and delicious flavours of the Dal and spices.
Dal makhani means Dal curry make with butter and cream.
Dal makhani is delicious recipe commonly ordered in very North Indian restaurant and dhaba.
Dal makhani masala recipe is made with many variaties and different style. Dal means lentils is cooked with butter and cream with adding a super unique flavour in the dish.
Specially Dal makhani masala is commonly cooked and famous in Punjab regions.
What is Dal Makhani masala?
Makhani means butter or buttery in that urad Dal, and rajma dal is cook with butter and adds cream in the recipe for more delicious dish and awesome taste.
This dish rich and popular dish in Dals recipe. Most important key in this recipe is butter, cream and also spices used in this recipe. In this dish most basic and easy available ingredients are used like urad dal, rajma, butter, cream and spices.
Spices used in this recipe common spices are which in household. This recipe is traditionally and rich dish is commonly cooked in special occasion like wedding, parties etc.
Dal makhani recipe is cooked with few ingredients and but it’s take a time to cook a good Dal makhani.
Tips for making Dal makhani masala.
- Soaking a Dal (lentils & rajma) :- Soaking lentils and rajma one of the main process of making a Dal makhani. Soak a Dal in water for 7-8 hours for best texture in Dal makhani. Well soak Dal will give a creamy and rich taste. And also speed up the soaking process by soak a Dals in hot water upto 4 hours. But I recommend to you simply soak a Dals overnight it’s best for it.
- Butter:- butter is main important ingredient in Dal makhani. Use a good amount of butter to make Dal makhani. You also use a cultured butter for good in health. And can also use a normal butter in dish. My mommy prefer me to use a half ghee and half butter in dish to avoid a burning because butter a quickly burns.
- Spices:- spices are used in this dish normal spices because the dish is slow cooking. Use only ground spices or whole spices like black cardamon, green cardamon and bay leafs. Simple Indian spices are very tempting to eat by there aroma and fragrance.
- Dal makhani is slow cooking process. In the restaurant serves a delicious Dal makhani because they cook a dish overnight or hours of slow cooking.
- By Simmering these will give the best flavours and taste. Without simmering you will not get such a best delicious taste. Minimum simmering time is to 80-100 minutes, these time will be enough for good taste or best delicious dish.
- Cream:- Cream is another important ingredient in Dal makhani. You can use a heavy cream , cooking cream or malai homemade. Many people prefer to use home made malai for healthy purpose.
Dal makhani masala is serves with naan, roti’s, tandoori roti and basmati rice.
In Punjabi cuisine matar paneer and kadai is most famous dishes.
Preparation of Dal before starting cooking.
- Soaking:- Soaking process is important. Wash a urad Dal and rajma well. Take pot or bowl add a urad Dal and rajma in bowl add 4-5 cups of water in bowl and keep for 8 hours for soaking or also boiled a 5 cups of water and add urad Dal and rajma in boiled water and soak for 8 hours.
- Cooking:- After soaking urad Dal and rajma wash well. Take pressure cooker add 4-5 cups of water in cooker. Cook for 10-12 whistle is enough for cook. Cook in medium flame or heat. For 10 whistle it’s take 30 minutes to 40 minutes.
- Checking :- After cooker in pressure cooker check the beans are cooked properly by pressing a beans by thumbs and fingers. Beans should be mushy. If beans are hard to press that means beans are not cooked properly. Again cook in pressure cooker add 3 cups of water in cooker and add urad Dal and rajma for 10 minutes or upto 3-4 whistle.
Dal makhani recipe
- 2 cups Urad dal lentils
- 1 cup Rajma kidney beans
- 3 chopped onions
- 2 tomatoes puree
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder.
- 2 tsp red chili powder.
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste.
- 3 green chilies
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 2 cloves lavang
- 3 green cardamon
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt as per taste
- Take a pan add a butter and ghee add cumin seeds.
- After seeds get crackle add cloves, cardamon, green chillie, chopped onions in pan and salute properly until the onions get golden brown in colour.
- After that add cooked Dal (lentils & rajma) in pan and add salt in pan mix well and add 4 cups of water in pan and keep for slowly simmering in medium flame for 30 minutes. For proper cook.
- Next, add cream in Dal makhani. And cook for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- After simmer dish off the flame. Dal makhani is ready to eat.